C. Word Parts: uni
1. Find five words with uni in the puzzle and circle them. Check their meanings. See page 97 if you need help.
Answer : university, unified, uniform, universal, universe
2. Complete the sentences below with the words from the puzzle.
1) Rita is a university student.
2) The desire for love is universal.
3) The universe began about 14 billion years ago.
4) East and West Germany were unified in 1990.
5) At many schools, students must wear a uniform.
3. Work with a partner. What do you think uni means? Circle the correct answer.
Answer : C. Single or one
3. Reading Skills
A. Pre-reading questions
1. In what ways will robots make our lives better in the future? In what ways will they make our lives worse?
Answer : They can help us do the kind of activity that we can’t or don’t have time too. They can help us clean the house, do the grocery, mown the lawn, that’s all the kind of jobs that people now don’t have to do, because we’re so busy that we rule out those things. Other things that they can do is accompany us anywhere. For example, going for a walk in the park, or they can help us walk our pet because we don’t have time to do it.
But, robots will make our way lives worse because they are smart and they can even be smarter than us human who mode them want them to be great and smart. If they can do our job than what are we gonna do? We’re getting lazy because we have robots that can do everything and anything we order. Those kind of things can also impact our health, because we wouldn’t want to do anything.
2. What kinds of robots would you like to see?
Answer : We would like to see robot cars. Those type of cars that can drive us anywhere, the one that don’t need anyone behind the wheels. With just simple tap and navigation they can drive us anywhere.
Read the text. Highlight an interesting idea in each paragraph.
Answer : 1) Paragraph 1 : line 7-9 “Gates suggests…have been.”
2) Paragraph 2 : line 12-14 “There are…this brain.”
3) Paragraph 3 : line 32-33 “But without…being lonely.”
C. Identifying topic and main idea
Read the questions below and circle the correct answers according to the text.
1. Which of the following best describes the topic of the text?
Answer : A. Computers and the robots
2. Which of the following best describes the main idea of the text?
Answer : A. Robots will improve our lives in many ways
E. Identifying opinions
Which one of the following three opinions would the author probably disagree with?
Answer : A. All technology has done is to make our lives busier and more dependent on machines than ever.
Going beyond the text
3. Look the list of jobs below. Which are you happy for robots to do in the future? Why or why not?
a) Airline pilot. I’m not happy for robots to do airline pilot job. Because too dangerous if something bad happen in airplane. Robots can’t feel and thinking like the human in emergency situation on air.
b) Cook. I’m happy with this. Because right now, so many people want all about anything with the fast response. If robots to do cook job, all will be fast, some of the food will be cooked at one time.
c) Doctor. I don’t agree with this. Because it isn’t always patient in stable condition. Sometimes people make mistakes during the surgery, so we only need a human doing this job.
d) Police officer. Actually I don’t agree with this. Because I think only human can do this job. Robots don’t have feelings. But robots can help the human police to do their job. For example, robots can search for criminals using x-rays in a hidden place.
e) Singer. I think this is a bad idea. Robots can singing, but that is just program. It have some weakness. Don’t have feelings, can’t thinking like human. So, robots can’t live singing.
f) Store clerk. I agree with this. Because so many people want all about anything with the fast response. People can searching what they need with the computer, and they can pay by putting a shopping card in the machine reader with Radio Frequency Identity (RFID) system.
g) Taxi driver. Yes, I agree with this. Each robot car has a navigation tool or GPS. So, I thought it would never happen accidents on road.
h) Teacher. I’m happy with this. Because robots can’t be angry. So if the students don’t understand it doesn’t matter. And we can ask the robot repeat the lesson until we understand.